I was asked to comment on the issue addressed in the video below. I feel it would be a poor decision for me to try to analyze and assess something that I have no real knowledge of, and my personal opinion would be just that—my opinion. I will, however, say three things:
1) I affiliated in 2006. At that time I was the director of personal training at a large corporate gym. I hated that position with a passion, and I was once told by management, “You don’t have to jump on a fucking box to be an athlete.” I wanted to open my own gym more than anything in the world. Greg (Coach), and CrossFit gave me the inspiration and the ability to do that a million times faster than I ever thought I could.
2) I was immediately attracted to the anti-corporate nature of CrossFit, and Greg’s attitude in general. The fact that someone could be a successful business owner, while going completely against the grain of corporate fitness, was wildly appealing to me. I will always strive to run my affiliate in a way that will focus 100% on quality of training, and will have NOTHING to do with business strategies, phone scripts, or the color of the mother-fucking paint on the walls.
3) As Greg says in the video below; if Anthos is successful in their purchase of a 50% portion of CrossFit HQ, and they somehow find a way to make all the affiliates use the same t-shirt supplier, the same business software, the same equipment supplier, and they raise affiliate fees—I will IMMEDIATELY de-affiliate. There is no debate. I affiliated because Greg, and CrossFit HQ gave me the ability to run my affiliate how I saw fit. I didn’t have to do cold calls, sales pitches, or listen to management that thought squatting would make your knees explode. They gave me the freedom to rent a space with no air conditioning, teach people why lifting heavy things was important, and take trips around the world simply on the merits of my coaching. I will always be beyond grateful for those things, and I will always want to protect the freedom to do those things with everything I have.
1) 5X1 Snatch off High Boxes (just above knee) – heavy but perfect—not maximal, rest 60 sec. DEMO VIDEO
2) 5X1 Clean off High Boxes (just above knee) – heavy but perfect—not maximal, rest 60 sec. DEMO VIDEO
*The Back Squats are based off of YOUR THREE REP MAX – follow the link, that’s why I put it there.
1) 5X1 Back Squats @ 100% – rest 2 minutes.
Notes: Percentage is based off of 120515.
2) 3X5 Front Squats – heaviest possible, rest 90 seconds.
3 rounds for time of:
10 2 Box Lateral Box Jumps 20″ DEMO VIDEO (single box)
15 HSPU (regionals standard)
Notes: 2 Box Lateral Box Jumps should be performed with two boxes side by side, approximately 24″ apart. One complete rep would include two jumps across the boxes. Basically, start to the outside of the set of boxes, jump laterally across the first, then the second, and finish on the opposite side of the boxes. Touching the top of the boxes is not only recommended, it is required.